Can’t be wrong all the time….

Apparently I do know a thing or two…..from time to time. I mean, even I can’t be wrong all the time, can I?
Case and point:
When I left work yesterday morning, I called Brittany’s doctor again and told them that I was certain the Brittany had an upper respiratory infection and asked if they would please call in an anti-biotic for her. They said, “Well if you bring her in, they may decide to give her an anti-biotic….but it’s probably just a virus so they won’t be able to.”
So, you want me to bring her up there in the snow and ice with accidents all over the road on the off chance that you may give her some anti-biotics. Hmmm. Let me think about it.
Instead I went to RiteAid and got some Robutussin CH to loosen up her congestion and make her coughs more productive. Since it was such a mess and was freezing up, we decided to skip going anywhere last night.
I went in to work again this morning and left at 9:30 again. When I got home, Brittany was in good spirits. She’d had Motrin before I left and when I got home I gave her some more of the Robutussin and she was doing well. But when she woke up from her nap, she still had a fever and since that was at least 48 hours with the fever (not counting when she had it over the weekend, I decided to take her over to Frankford.
If they intend to keep people waiting for hours, they should at least try to et some chairs that don’t fatigue your entire body. And they have always been like that…..even when I’m not sick or injured when I go over there, I always wind up feeling worse than I did when I went in after sitting in the waiting room. Still, I figured it would be best to go there than to try going to St. Christopher’s. I don’t think I could have dealt with 50 other sick kids tonight.
We sat down in the waiting room at 6:30. My dad came over about 8:00 to see how it was going. Got called back to the exam area at 9:15. It could have been worse.
In any case the doctor checked her all out and even noticed the smell of her breath which I had really thought was my imagination…..she just has had a very odd smell to her breath for the past day or so.
He listened as I told him about my concern that this could develop into pneumonia and was very patient….I told him straight up that I was being paranoid but I felt I had good reason and he agreed.
Fortunately, he said that Brittany’s lungs are clear but she definitely has and upper respiratory infection. Um, hello? What did I tell her doctor yesterday? I said nothing even close to that at the hospital, just told them her symptoms and the history of pneumonia.
Eh….what do I know anyway, I’m just her mother and have never had any kind of medical training……..I’ve certainly never had an upper respiratory infection myself…..
So, Brittany is okay and we have some anti-biotics.
There is even a fun ending to the whole night. When I stopped at Walgreens to get the prescription filled, they said they would page me when it was ready. So we walked around the store for a few. They called and when I got back there, M. was standing there….she used to work in the clin lab but quit about a year and a half ago.
I was really just….stunned to see her. I mean after spending the night in the ER it was the furthest thing from my mind that I would run into anyone at 11:00 in Walgreens…..I’m thrilled that I did, though šŸ™‚
She told me that they have called her again and asked her to come back and she said yes. Now that H. is gone and Dr. M. doesn’t spend much time in the lab, that’s the two biggest reasons she left gone right there. So, it’s gonna happen and I am so happy. Yeah, sure I don’t work over there anymore, but I’m still glad that she’ll be around. We’ll do lunch or something….
So, we caught up quickly and she gave me her new e-mail and phone number.
Then I got brittany home and gave her the medicine which she promptly threw up on me.
I’m so glad that I’m off tomorrow.


Posted on 30|01|2003, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s