Monthly Archives: August 2003
The Friday Five
1. Are you going to school this year? No….not this year. I would like to, but I have to wait until my benefits kick in at work. Kinda sucks that I have to wait until I start working full time before I can use them….I think they should consider a sliding scale of benefits for if you work at least 20 hours. You know, like if you work 20 hours, they pay 25% of your tuition and work up to 35 hours from there…..whatever, but no.
2. If yes, where are you going (high school, college, etc.)? If no, when did you graduate? I graduated from high school in 1995 and started taking college courses while I was working. I quit and started my Medical Lab Tech course and finished that in 2000.
3. What are/were your favorite school subjects? In high school, English and all the sciences. When I take classes, I lean towards English and Science, as well. In my MLT class, I loved clinical chemistry and immunology/serology.
4. What are/were your least favorite school subjects? Math. Always math. I did like lab math, though. Oh, and in the MLT program, I hated parasitology – yarg :-p
5. Have you ever had a favorite teacher? Why was he/she a favorite? I had several actually….and all three of them were my English teachers (I had one of them twice)….with the MTL thing, I only had one teacher but he was pretty cool, anyway 🙂
Well, it’s finally vacation time around here, thank god.
After work yesterday, I picked Brittany up from school and came right up here….and even though it took me three hours to get the hell up here because of all the construction….well, it’s just nice to know that I don’t have to be back in work until September 9th.
We decided to just come up the mountains this time….we were going to hit the shore for a few days but we had some news that changed that. Bill’s partner is getting married at the beginning of October and we’ve been invited to tag along with them.
To Las Vegas!!!
I called a travel angency and really wasn’t happy with the prices they quoted us. So we started looking around online and found that we could get much better prices booking the trip ourselves. We had a Jacuzzi Suite booked at the Four Queens but Bill was looking around the other morning and found that we would be able to get a suite at the Luxor! And their suites are in the pyramid….so, he booked it and we put a deposit on it.
I am so excited – I have wanted to stay at the Luxor since they built the place. I would have been happy to stay at the Four Queens this time because of the short notice and then hit the bigger places on our return visits…..because we will be going back.
But, back to this vacation….today and tomorrow are fair days. I have some pictures entered for judging but because they had to be printed on a fairly crappy printer, I’m sure we didn’t get anything for them. But there are other things to that I’m looking forward to doing over there.
The rest of the vacation is pretty open…..we want to try to go to Knobles one day and there is a another fair that we want to go to. I brought two books with me, one Michael Connelly book that I haven’t started yet and the new copy of To Kill a Mockingbird that my super-awesome Secret Goddess got for me and I brought lots of yarn with me. Brittany is going to be starting gymnastics when we get back home and I wanted to make a shrug and a pair of legwarmers for her to wear to and from class. I already made her one pair of pastel multi-colored legwarmers but I want to make her a pair of plain black ones and a matching shrug. For now 🙂
As you may have noticed, we are really just more interested in relaxing this time around. Bill started his 12 hour shifts this week and it hasn’t gone well so far and I’m just glad to have a break from Weavie Wonder…..
Vacations rock 🙂
Interviewed by Meg 🙂
The rules are :
1. Leave a comment, saying you want to be interviewed.
2. I will respond; I’ll ask you five questions.
3. You’ll update your website with my five questions, and your five answers.
4. You’ll include this explanation.
5. You’ll ask other people five questions when they want to be interviewed.
Okay, so I took this little quiz thing…..can anyone see my problem with it?
Take the What High School
Stereotype Are You? quiz.
Now, it’s quite true. I am Goth…..but what the fuck with the ‘kill them all’? I hate to break it to everyone but the majority of Goths are not clinically depressed murdering loners. It has been my experience that the majority are actually a very accepting and tolerant bunch that are more able to accept the way of the world….possibly because we don’t expect very much and don’t think that anything should just be handed to us :-
But! Those silly little kids that get into Goth and wind up killing people….they had issues to begin with, people. Society is quite happy to brush it all of as happening because they are Goth but, dude…Goth or not, someone was gonna die. Imagine the upsetment if rather than Goth, the kid went out for the football team and then killed a bunch of people. Everyone would ask why and how something like that could happen….they would not be able to just say “He was a Goth…he wore black all the time.” So fuckin’ what?
“Kill them all”…..fuck that….it’s more fun when they stare.
Well, our illustrious
crackhead mayor strikes again.
I think he realizes that he hasn’t done jack for the city since he’s been elected….the only “campaign promise” he managed to keep was getting rid of a good number of the abandoned cars on the streets.
With that in mind, he’s decided that he needs to do something before the election rolls around…..so why not make it look like he’s beefed up the police protection in the really bad areas of the city, right? But – and this is the great part – rather than actually getting more people into the academy and putting more cops out on the street, why not just make the ones we already have work longer?
Starting Monday, Bill and the rest of them will be working 12 hour days until further notice. That means when he’s on day work, he’ll be working from 7:15AM until 7:15PM and when he’s on nights, from 3:15PM until 3:15AM…..walking. Sometimes they’ll be in their district and sometimes, they’ll be sending them off to the 25th (“the badlands”). Walking around in his own district is gonna drive me up the friggin’ wall…..let me tell you how fuckin’ thrilled I am with the thought of him walking around K&A at 2:00 in the morning.
Why don’t they just give them all fuckin’ targets to walk around with……..
I will hardly get to see him myself, but Brittany may get to see him for a few minutes at night when he’s on day work but not for long. And it’ll be really goddamn interesting when he’s on nights and has to go to court the next day….get home about 4:30 in the morning and have to be in court at 8 and back at work at 3. If he doesn’t have to actually stay at court for anything, he may get to sleep for an hour or two before he has to get ready and leave……
Bunch of shit……..
Okay, it’s been a few weeks since the song came out but, dude….I freakin’ love the new Santana song with the guy from The Calling. I liked “Smooth”, wasn’t too impressed with “Game of Love” (it’s alright :-), but this one…I’ve been just walking around and suddenly it just pops into my head for no reason at all.
Yeah, I dig it.
Incidentally….this is my 900th entry 😉
I rented Spider yesterday and watched it last night….if you are in the market for a really weird but very interesting movie, you have to watch this. And I highly recommend getting the DVD if you can so you can watch the extras…..and since it has Ralph Fiennes and Gabriel Byrne in it, it’s not too hard on the eyes, either 😉
This is the way conversations go when you’re married to a cop:
Me: Hey! I just wanted to see how you’re feeling today….
Him: Well, I was doing okay….at least until I found the dead guy in the trunk.
Me: Dude, it’s too fuckin’ hot for that shit – how long has he been there?
Him: He’s pretty fresh, but still….